R Programming 1: Getting Started
Install R & RStudio in Windows
- Download R from http://cran.us.r-project.org/ (click on “Download R for Windows” > “base” > “Download R 3.x.x for Windows”)
- Install R. Leave all default settings in the installation options.
- Download RStudio from http://rstudio.org/download/desktop and install it. Leave all default settings in the installation options.
- Open RStudio.
Install R & RStudio in Mac
- Download R from http://cran.us.r-project.org/ (click on “Download R for Mac OS X” > “R-3.x.x.pkg (latest version)”)
- Install R.
- Download RStudio from http://rstudio.org/download/desktop.
- Install RStudio by dragging the application icon to your Applications folder.
R has become the world-wide language for statistics, predictive analytics, and data visualization. It offers the widest range available of methodologies for understanding data, from the most basic to the most complex and bleeding edge. In the first programming class, you will learn the basics of R programming language. In this class our primary focus is to make users familiar with the R programming environment, basic data import from various sources, data manipulation and pre-processing and to make basic visualizations. We will aim to implement a few basic concepts of statistics with R but a more detailed approach in statistical analysis and machine learning will be covered in future workshops (dates of future workshops to be announced).
- Introduction to R and R studio environment.
- Concepts of R packages.
- R data structures.
- Importing Data into R.
- Data Manipulation.
- Basic plotting.
- Basic statistics implementation.
Prerequisites: Curiosity about data science only. Previous programming experience is a plus but not essential.
- Friday, February 16, 2018
- 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Downtown Campus Library