Web Scraping 2: Web Scraping Continued (ONLINE)
Web Scraping 2: Web Scraping Continued (ONLINE) Online
Online Workshops are Live/Synchronous:
- Click here to join this workshop in Webex: https://gsumeetings.webex.com/meet/jwalker184
- Steps for joining a Webex meeting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE5FnEUKtaE
- You may be required to download the Webex app to attend the workshop, so please give yourself ample time to do so before the workshop begins.
- Set these as your options when joining the Webex meeting: (1) Set your video option to No Video, and (2) Mute yourself.
- There is NO REGISTRATION and there is no maximum attendance -- the more the merrier!
We also will offer recorded versions of the workshops to enable those not able to attend the live version to instead watch the recorded version at their convenience. As the recordings become available, we will post them here:
At the end of the recorded workshop, we will provide the check-in form link for attendance purposes.
The Web Scraping workshop series will introduce to the fundamental concepts behind using programmatic tools to systematically collect data from public websites. The internet contains immense amount of data, both structured and unstructured, that is not readily available to researchers through traditional commercial and academic databases.
Blogs, market data, movie reviews, social media, press releases, and newspaper headlines are just a few examples of the type of rich content available on the web that may be best collected using web-scraping tools and methods.
This series consists of two workshops. These workshops are taught exclusively using Python and R code (i.e. no point-and-click tools). However, everyone who is interested in web-scraping, regardless of coding experience, are still welcome to join the workshop, participate in chat, and engage with the content as best they can. All are welcome.
- Using for-loops, conditional statements, and functions
- Systematically collecting data from multiple webpages
- Organizing and saving data gathered from the web
- For users wishing to follow along with the “hands-on” portion of the workshop, you will need to download and install Anaconda using Python 3.7.
- For all other users, everyone is welcome to watch the workshop presentation and participate in the chat without installing any software.
NOTE: Please read our Workshops ~ Etiquette & Policies page for pertinent information to your workshop attendance.